Friday, June 22, 2012

Overclock Update- Still Waiting (Sum41)

I am still waiting on my primary heatsink to arrive, which is very frustrating, as I swear the est delivery date keeps moving back. I guess that's what I get for buying international. Seriously, I think the est d-day is 06/28/12 - 07/12/12. So, yeah.


However, in the meantime, I have plans. I am going to go ahead and at least wire in the case fan, and then test run the N64 with it. The case fan will be drawing power from the 64's 12volt line, which is used primarily for audio/video signals, so I want to make sure it can run under load without causing any picture/sound distortion. Also, the fan will probably be drawing an extra 1-2ish watts from the stock N64 power supply. I'm pretty confident that the 64 power supply can handle it, but if there is going to be an overheating problem or anything else, I want to know before I take all the time to mount this fan to the case.


So, if all of those tests go well, I may go ahead and mount the fan in the case. I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do in that respect, so I may go ahead and mount it and worry about the heatsink fitting later. In my opinion, there's only one place the fan can go where it will be productive and not look retarded, so if I have to dremel down my heatsink a little later, I'll live with that.


One last thought looking to the future, I may abandon Expansion Pack/Jumper Pack switchability, and just decide to have a permanent Expansion Pack. This would save me a lot of space in the 64's case, in the basic area I am trying to mount this fan. Like I said though, just a thought- I won't have to actually make that decision until I'm done running my fan tests.

No comments: