Monday, June 18, 2012

Updates: N64 overclock & iTouch

The parts are ordered for the N64 overclock. I decided to go with option 2, and will try to make a larger piece of heatsink to cover the CPU, RCP, and onboard memory, and then have a separate heatsink for the Expansion Pack. The plan is to then mount a fan through the top of the 64 (I ended up ordering a super cheap 60mm one), but I'm not exactly sure How that will work. I'm still trying to keep the Overclocked N64 as backwards compatible as possible (ie: still be able to use the Jumper Pack and plastic cover), because my rule is that if it's not going to look cool, it better look stock.

For the iTouch, things went pretty miserably. I got everything fixed and assembled only to have dead spots on the touch screen, over the "o" and "m" keys (when held horizontally). Further attempts to open the iTouch to clean and reconnect the digitizer only damaged (mostly cosmetic) the digitizer more, and ultimately failed to fix the dead spots. So, a new digitizer assembly is on the way and should arrive within the week.

So, things aren't going too hot, but depending on my level of boredom (waiting for parts to arrive) I may to a post either about the beauty of  the Overclocked N64 and the corresponding great gameplay, or I may do a quick blog on the failed iTouch repairs- we'll see.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Oh missed this, thanks for the update :)

Unknown said...

No problem. I replied to your last comment, but just as a reminder- I'm planning on making the cooled-Expansion Pack tomorrow at the minimum.

If the larger aluminum heatsink (for the mobo) doesn't show up tomorrow, I'll probably start planning the integration of the fan, and maybe go ahead and hook up the connectors etc.

Organizationally, the Expansion Pack should be one post, but I might wait on the other stuff until it's mostly completed, for the sake of ease of comprehension. Obviously, since you have been following this pretty closely, a half-constructed post wouldn't be too hard for you to follow, but it would be pretty confusing for someone who just stumbled into it.